Monday, June 11, 2012

Making Friends

Making new friends is a display of social skills. It cannot be taught. I suppose a child learn by observation, seeing how adults around them interact with new people, they form their own ways of making friends. It's surprising that my 2 children are at north & south poles of the spectrum even with similar upbringings and exposures.

My son has never been the most friendly creature. If you call his name, he will reply with a "what!", not even a "yes" of acknowledgement. I have reminded him repeatedly about this uncourteous gesture hoping that he can reply with a smile, if not a "good morning" to his friend.

My girl, on the other hand, can strike up a conversation with someone new almost immediately. I'm not sure the topic of discussion, but from gestures and expressions, it seems like she's leading the conversation while the other party listens. It's amazing as I find it difficult to talk to someone new at social events. Not sure where she picked it up from.

With mei around, gorgor has improved slightly. Occasionally, they will play with other children at the playground. I'm not close enough to know who initiated the game, but it is a relief that gorgor is slowly opening up to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment