Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Preparation for P1

This is the time of the year that everyone will be discussing about Primary School registration. A series of "how to prepare your child for primary school" talks, forum chats and articles will surface. This year, MOE even produced a video for parent's reference to consider on selecting primary schools (ie. not based on PSLE results).

Last year, I went through the frenzy accessing MOE website to monitor the take up rate of the choice school at each phase because I didn't volunteer my service at any schools like some of my friends. I haven't been lucky in balloting (including winning lucky draws) so I won't take the chance of balloting for the most popular school in the neighborhood although I'm within 1km.

This year I'm an observer as my son has already enrolled in a primary school. I read the release of info and reviewed if my son was ready for the "big school" (compared with his kindergarten at the void deck). He's fine academically (phew!) but lacked behind in his social and confidence level.

6 months into primary school, I wish i had better prepare him in the following areas:

1. Being organized
He needs to pack his bag based on daily time table. Most parents would help the child pack every night instead of going through the agony. But we thought it is important for the child to pick up some organisation skills. We expect him to remember which are the textbooks and workbooks required for each day. At times, he needs help with filing and sorting. When he forced in loads of books randomly, we would suggested he organized the books according to sizes with workbooks behind and exercise books in front. We could have trained him better in packing and sorting earlier.

2. Run but don't fall
Recess time is something new to a primary school kid. We trained him to buy food on his own including calculating how much change he should be getting back. He's fine with managing his pocket money and even bought stationery and gifts from the bookshop for meimei. He spends his free time after eating and "shopping" playing catching with friends and challenges himself on the monkey bar. But after 5 falls within a month, I thought he may have problem with balancing or motor skills. I could have prepared him better if he was exposed to more sports at a younger age.

3. Speak up at appropriate time
He has been rather quiet in class. In the Reggio-learning environment, we hope he can participate actively in discussions instead of answering only when being asked. He has marked improvements since nursery, but still room for improvement. Once he lost his pencil case and did not have the courage to approach the teacher to ask if there is lost & found items. I had to email his form teacher for help and asked him to retrieve from teacher the next day. We could have "practiced" situational role player at home before school started.

4. Be responsible for your belongings
Primary school children move around the school compound for different lessons. My child has the tendency to misplace his belongings when moving from room to room. We must constantly remind him to ensure he brings along all his belongings before he leaves the room. We could have incorporated this habit earlier at home.

Overall, I'm quite happy with his progress so far, especially having made some friends who have common interests. I think it's the kind of motivating environment that can nurture the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment